Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Emotional Intelligence

Emotional intelligence was popularized by author Daniel Goleman in 1995 as a counter to the then-popular IQ test for measuring general intelligence. Goleman argued that emotional intelligence was even more important than IQ for success in professional life, and those with low IQ scores were of course overjoyed to be vindicated. Today, corporations continue this same message, but if EI is more important than IQ in professional life, that perhaps is more a problematic symptom of corporate systems where politics and favor are more important than intelligence and skills.

Nevertheless, EI is an important skill to have in such environments. Unlike IQ, which is a score designed to assess general intelligence, EI is a specific subset of skills relating to emotions, which can be improved with practice (unlike IQ, which is difficult to increase). In Goleman's model, emotional intelligence involves the following skills (paraphrased):

  • Self-awareness - observing one's own emotions
  • Self-control - controlling one's own emotions
  • Empathy - observing others' emotions
  • Social skill - controlling others' emotions
The above model is reasonable and complete; however, Goleman also adds a fifth skill: Confidence - which is redundant and unnecessary, as this is part of self-control for many of us, and a character trait for a few of us. (Actually, Goleman himself removed the fifth skill in his current EI model, too.) It is also important to remember that, like IQ, EI is an ability measurement and not related to personality; both high IQs and high EIs can be used for good or for evil.

With the complete 4-Part Model, we balance two axes: self and others, and observation and control. (The observation aspects can be thought of as sense organs.) This model focuses on these aspects only, removing character traits, which should be studied separately. Thus, EI survey questions that relate to personality (e.g. enthusiasm about goals - which is related to temperament, not EI) are removed as well.

So, the burning question remains - what is my emotional intelligence score?

Use the levels below and click the button at bottom to calculate your EI score. (This is a self-evaluation, so try to be humble and objective with your answers.) Like IQs, this score is normalized to have average scores of 90-110, with higher and lower scores indicating various levels of superiority and inferiority. In addition, separate scores are given for the 4 different skills as well, so that test takers can then resolve to make individual improvements on skills found to be weaker. (Right-click the generated graph to save as an image for reference.)

I can explain my actions in detail

I can explain my strengths and weaknesses in detail

I can accurately describe my emotions as I feel them

I can accurately predict what I will do in what situations

I know how to stay calm in difficult situations

I know how to manage frustration or misery into positive actions

I know how to avoid losing my temper

I get carried away and do things on a whim

People have told me that I am a good listener

I easily sympathize with others' plights

I can easily read others' emotions

I am sensitive to the feeling of a group's atmosphere

I am good at organizing groups

I am comfortable talking to any type of person

I can predict how others will react in a situation

I am good at somehow smoothing out emotions when conflict appears

My EQ is:




Your browser does not support canvases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sex

Sex is a word of convenience that conflates many different concepts into one word. What we need is to define precise terms that are harder ...